I was recently asked to recommend the best holiday location in the world for couples. Wow! That’s a tall order but I quickly decided exactly what to recommend: a getaway to a small resort on the Riviera Maya near Cancun, Mexico.
Cancun is fun, exciting and loud but the Riviera Maya is calm, spiritual and offers an opportunity for you to reconnect with your partner. You can relax, play and remember exactly what attracted you to each other! 2020 has been a difficult year for all of us and taking the time to remind your partner of their importance in your life allows for the special renewal of your bonds.
What a stunningly beautiful place!
The Riviera Maya is about 50km (31 miles) south of Cancun International Airport, a modern and convenient facility which is easily navigated. Most resorts offer a VIP “meet and greet” service that includes assistance through immigration along with a baggage service and transport via a luxury vehicle during the short trip to your selected resort.
Here’s a Pro-tip: The currency of Mexico is the Peso and there are currently 27 pesos to the GB£. The rate typically fluctuates between 25-30 pesos to the Pound. It is best to use a cash machine in the airport to have a little currency. Most places will take US dollars but few will accept UK Pounds as payment.
What a touching photo!
Paraiso de la Bonita has a Thalassotherapy Spa, which I love. Based upon the healing properties of the ocean, this seawater spa offers many different treatments that will wrap you in a sense of well-being as you luxuriate with your partner in relaxing bliss! Try a couples massage or enjoy the healing properties of a saltwater bath infused with perfumed oils and strewn with flower petals.
The main reason for taking a couples holiday is to rekindle the romance within each other’s hearts. Here are some activities that may help:
- There is the obvious of relaxing in the sun by the pool or on the pristine white sand beaches of the Riviera Maya. Spend time chatting about your plans, hopes, dreams and desires.
- Experience a Cenotes Tour. The Cenotes are underground limestone pools of freshwater that are arranged in a semicircle on the land in the Yucatan Peninsula. The Cenotes are geological remnants of the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs at the end of the Cretaceous Period. They were also mystical realms to the Mayan natives of the region who left offerings to their gods in these crystal clear, life-giving waters.
Feed the kitty with a “Cat Cruise”!
- Try the Temazcal “sweat lodge” rites. This hour-long ritual with heated stones, steamed herbs, and story-telling simulates the birth experience and you emerge after sunset, with your partner by your side, to view a heavenly constellation of stars that will seem to shine ever more brightly!
- Take a Catamaran Cruise in the warm waters of the Caribbean. The waters around the Riviera Maya are especially calm because of the protection of the nearby island of Cozumel. A “cat cruise” will allow you to swim, dive or snorkel in warm and stunningly clear azure waters!
- Have a Lazy and Romantic Lunch on the beach. The resort’s staff will layout a sensual feast for you with fine china and glassware where you can taste exotic flavours and wonderful aromas as you dip your feet in the warm Caribbean waters. I recommend copious amounts of bubbles to produce a lasting memory of peace and indulgence!
- Take a lesson while tasting Tequilas and Mezcals. The indigenous spirits of Mexico are delicate and offer extraordinary flavour variations. The resort offers tasting sessions with experts and, trust me, the experience will really mellow your mood!
- Play Games in the bar at night. The intimate bar has a cool patio where you can enjoy beverages of your choice while playing board games or just chatting.
Delight all of your senses while dining on the beach!
You should not need a holiday to let your partner know of your love. Your actions every day should wrap your partner in a comfortable cloak of your love and respect. Occasionally, however, you should escape on a couple’s retreat where you rekindle your romance. You will share memories that will last your lifetimes!
Nothing says romance like a sunset toast on the shore!
The Riviera Maya is one of the most romantic and relaxing places on the earth! I hope you enjoy it as much as we always do!