With a warm tropical climate, you’ll want to pack your summer attire for this trip. Long stretches of beach, delicious cuisine and legendary Phuket nightlife are some of this island’s main allures.
Long-tail boats float between limestone cliffs
Here’s a Pro-Tip: Tuk-Tuk’s are great for short distances, however if you know you will be traveling a lot in one day, you may hire a taxi driver for the full day to be more comfortable. Make sure to negotiate a price beforehand, though.
There are many adventures to choose from but here are some of my favourite Phuket activities:
Island hopping – Phuket is an island surrounded by others. Ferry’s depart daily from the many piers of Phuket to these enchanting idylls including:
Is statue, Buddha?
- Koh Phi Phi – Made famous by the film The Beach, this is probably the most well-known of the islands. Maya Bay is currently closed for habitat restoration however there is plenty to see regardless!
- Khao Phing Kan – also known as James Bond Island (It was featured in the James Bond film The Man with the Golden Gun) is located in Phang Nga Bay and is a great place to take a one-day tour.
- Koh Lanta – Its beautiful coral reefs make this a great place to spend the day snorkelling or diving.
- Koh Yao Noi – A small, quiet island. Rent a kayak or scooter for the day to explore the different landscapes.
Thai food can be a love story: sweet but corny
- Phuket Weekend Night Market (Naka Market) – you can buy anything there after sunset!
- Chillva Market – Local brands, live music and some of the best authentic food.
- Phuket Indy Market – Stylish clothes and accessories. Smaller than most markets. The market is known for its delicious desserts!
Here’s a Pro-Tip: Markets can be crowded. If you don’t like to be jostled and bumped, visit during off-hours.
Thailand is known for its delicious food, and Phuket is no exception. There are plenty of amazing restaurants, however Phuket street food is some of the best in the world! While exploring the markets, let your taste buds adventure, too! Keep an eye out for dishes like Tom Yam Goong and Mee Hokkien for a taste of traditional Phuket. Vegetarian options are widely available. In fact, one of the most auspicious events on the island is the Phuket Vegetarian Festival, held around September or October each year (depending on the moon). Here are some great restaurant recommendations for dining out:
- Baan Rim Pa – Luxury dining experience, award winning menu and incredible views of the sea.
- Suay – A creative and delicious Thai fusion menu with a light and airy ambiance.
- Kan Eang – Translates to “Feel at Ease” and that couldn’t be more accurate! Shaded with trees, excellent seafood and service.
Phuket lights up after sunset!
- Tiger Bar – a Phuket institution with lots of fun, dancing and alcohol
- Wassa Homemade Bar – The fairly quiet, tree-house-like bar offers incredible views to enjoy with a cold beer.
- Chalong Bay Rum distillery – Learn how the only spirit distilled and bottled in Phuket is made and taste some incredible cocktails!
My favourite view from the Cloud!
- Hotel Clover – A classy stay located in Patong near many beach activities.
- Pacific Club Resort and Spa – In the quieter, but still populated Karon Beach, this resort is situated atop a hill, minutes from the shore and a short drive from Patong.
- The Village Coconut Island – “Island” isn’t in the name for show, this resort is an island! Truly escape into nature and experience this incredible paradise.
Here’s a Pro-Tip: Muay Thai, or “Thai Boxing” is a popular sport in Thailand and can be experienced as one-day classes at many local gyms! Don’t accept the challenge from a local and don’t forget to book a Thai massage afterwards to recover!
Phuket is a unique place that offers everything you dream, from culinary delights, to magical islets and beaches and incredible nightlife, abundance is here!
4 Comments to “Phuket, The Pearl of the Andaman Sea”
I really love those limestone cliffs!! And,. wow; take me away to the Village Coconut Island!
It is a paradise view, imagine chilling on a hammock, the sunset and of course a delicious rum coconut cocktail! Thanks for your comment.
Can’t wait to visit Thailand. What beautiful views. Sounds like coconut island is the place to be.
A paradise on Earth definitely, you can enjoy crystal clear waters and majestic temples and cultures, what can go wrong in Thailand.